Top 5 Tips for Making a Photo Session with Kids Easier
Preparing for a photo session with your children, may cause a feeling of apprehension. Children aren’t always easy to deal with, which is why the below tips will definitely come in handy before your upcoming photo session.
1. Don’t make a huge deal out of it. If you’re stressed out and cranky, your kids will usually pick up on it and act accordingly. Children behavior will usually be better if you are relaxed and having fun. You may have to make some compromises to keep the peace such as letting your energetic daughter’s hair stay straight instead of curling it because she won’t sit still. Focus on the big picture and don’t sweat the small stuff.
2. Make it fun. Let the kids have a couple “fun pictures” where they get to pick their own pose or props. You get to keep the more serious photos while they get to keep their silly photos. This way everyone wins. When struggling to get your kids to sit still, turn the photo session into a game. Simon Says usually works like a charm.
3. Be prepared. If you are going to be out for several hours, ensure that your children are well rested and have had their nap. Always bring along some snacks and activities as these can be very welcoming from kids and a great distraction. If you are having your own photos taken too then you might want to bring a babysitter or family member along to watch the kids. If you happen to be shooting in a remote location, you never know when you might need something like bug spray, tissues or a first aid kit so bring that along too.
4. Be patient. Save your sanity by trying not to control the photo session too much. Sometimes the best photos come from kids just doing their own thing. It’s important to keep the fun vibe going to encourage children to be themselves. This will almost always ensure your images will look fantastic.
5. Have a chat. Get your children talking to both you and the photographer about topics such as school or their favorite songs. By doing this, it allows children to feel more comfortable around the photographer will also help your photographer’s chances in capturing a few candid and cute expressions.
WILLOW & MOHR PHOTOGRAPHY
Maternity, Newborn, Baby, Senior Portraits, Family & Wedding Photographers
St. Louis | Edwardsville | Chesterfield | Ladue | Clayton | Kirkwood | Town & Country | Wildwood | Sunset Hills | Creve Coeur | St. Charles | Glen Carbon | Maryville | O’Fallon | Scott Air Force Base | Highland | Surrounding Areas
6120 Shoger Drive, Suite D Edwardsville, IL 62025
Willow & Mohr Photography provides beautiful and timeless photography services in St. Louis, Edwardsville, O’Fallon, and surrounding areas specializing in maternity, newborn, baby, family and portraiture. We understand that as an expecting or new mom, life is hectic. That is why we strive to make every step of the process simple and enjoyable for you. Part of the way we do this is by providing wardrobe support for your session, making sure we capture plenty of sweet moments of you and your baby, and creating heirloom products that you will cherish for a lifetime.